- The Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) has conferred the 2016 Global Agriculture Leadership Award to Tata Sons interim Chairman Ratan Tata in Mumbai, Maharashtra for his transformational role in scaling Tata Group as the globally admired group during his stint of two decades as Chairman
- The Haryana government has launched “Haryana Immunization Incentives and Information Programme” to increase immunization rates of children between the age group of 0-12 months. The programme would be implemented in 7 districts viz.
- The Rajasthan government has recently launched a subsidized meal scheme “Annapurna Rasoi” at the Jaipur Municipal Corporation campus for underprivileged people under which food will be provided at nominal rates.
- The world famous river island and seat of Vaishnavite culture “Majuli district” will soon become the India’s first-ever carbon neutral district by 2020.
- The 9th World Confluence of Humanity, Power and Spirituality has started in New Delhi on December 16, 2016 to spread the message of inter-faith peace and harmony
- The Swasthya Raksha Programme has been launched by the Ministry of AYUSH to promote health and health education in villa.
- The 6th BRICS Health Ministers’ Meet has been held in New Delhi to strengthen intra-BRICS cooperation to promote health and acknowledge the renewed commitment to health by the BRICS leaders as expressed in the Goa Declaration of October 16
- The Thal Favang Kut festival has started at Aizawl in In Mizoram with enthusiasm and fervour.
- The Parliament has passed Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2016 after it was passed by the Lok Sabha.
- Union Government is going to deploy 600 young professionals as Zila Swachh Bharat Preraks (ZSBPs)
- The fifth edition of the India-Arab Partnership Conference was held in Muscat, Oman from December 14 to 15, 2016.
- The Supreme Court has ordered a ban on all liquor shops on national as well as state highways to reduce drink driving and road accidents that claim thousands of lives every year across the country
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Sunil Arora as Director General and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA).
- The ACC has appointed VK Sharma as Chairman Life Insurance Corp. of India (LIC), India’s biggest insurer and investor.
- The ‘Thal Favang Kut’ festival organised by Department of Tourism, Government of Mizoram began in state capital Aizawl with enthusiasm and fervour
- Haryana became the first state in the country to launch Mahila Police Volunteer (MPV) initiative for safety of women. It was launched by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar
- The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has officially added word ‘Brexit’ in it. It is among 1,500 new words added to the OED.
- The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) of United Kingdom has given approval to clinics seeking licences for three parent baby technique or mitochondrial replacement therapy (MRT).
- Savita Vaidhyanathan became first Indian-American woman to get elected as new Mayor of key Californian city of Cupertino, globally known for its Apple headquarters.
- An Indian physics teacher Kavita Sanghvi has made it to the list of top 50 contenders for The Global Teacher Prize 2017 by Varkey Foundation
- India’s opener batswoman Smriti Mandhana was named in the International Cricket Council (ICC’s) Women’s Team of the Year 2016.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the protocol amending agreement between India and Tajikistan for avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income
- The Union Government has launched Lucky Grahak Yojana to encourage consumers and Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana to encourage merchants for transition to digital payments.
- The Union Home Ministry has cancelled renewal of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) licences of Greenpeace India and two NGOs run by activist Teesta Setalvad.
- Students appearing for Joint Entrance Examination (Main) for engineering will have to show their Aadhaar card as proof of idntity
- The Union Cabinet has approved memorandum of understanding (MoU) between India and Kyrgyzstan on cooperation in field of agriculture and food related industry.
- The Union Cabinet approved India’s approach to Climate Change Negotiations at the 22 Conference of Parties (COP) to United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), held in Marrakesh, Morocco in November 2016
- The Union Cabinet has approved MoU signed between ISRO and United States Geological Survey (USGS) for Cooperation in exchange and use of US Land Remote Sensing Satellite Data.
- The seventh edition of India, Maldives bilateral EKUVERIN Exercise 2016 began at Kadhdhoo, Laamu Atoll, Maldives.
- The Desert National Park (DNP) in Jaisalmer (Rajasthan) witnessed successful birth of 11 Great Indian Bustards (GIB). With this, the figure of critically endangered species reached to 151. GIB is popularly known as ‘Godawan’. It is Rajasthan’s state bird
- Russian President Vladimir Putin was named as the World’s Most powerful persons by Forbes magazine for consecutive fourth year
- Alphabet’s (parent company of Google) CEO Larry Page was named as the World’s Most powerful CEO by Forbes
- According to study released by Pew Research Centre, Hindus are the best-educated of all religious groups in North America and Europe
India’s largest indoor sports arena will come up in New Town area of Kolkata, West Bengal with a capacity to accommodate upto 15,400 people at one time
The 6th edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) has inaugurated by Union Minister of Urban Development Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi on December 14, 2016
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has cut India’s economic growth forecast to 7.0% from 7.4% for the financial year 2016-17 in the updated report of Asian Development Outlook 2016 due to weak investments, a slowdown in the country’s agriculture sector and the lack of available cash due to the government’s decision to ban high-denomination bank notes.
India is at 4th position in the list of top 10 defence spenders in the world, according to the recently published annual Jane’s Defense Budgets Report by research firm IHS Markit.
The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) in Hyderabad has become the 2nd airport in the Asia-Pacific region among all categories to achieve carbon neutral status.
The book “Many Everests: An Inspiring Journey of Transforming Dream into Reality” has been authored by Ravindra Kumar, who is an ex-seafarer, IAS officer & mountaineer.
- The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2014, which aims at securing and enhancing the rights and entitlements of disabled persons was passed with amendments in the Rajya Sabha on December 14, 2016.
- The 9th edition of the annual bilateral maritime exercise between Indian Navy and Russian Navy, INDRA NAVY, started off in the Bay of Bengal on December 14 and will continue till 21 December 2016.
- According to the 2016 Jane’s Defence Budgets Report, released by research firm IHS Markit on December 12, 2016, India has become the fourth largest defence spender in the world, after US, China, and the UK
- India will contribute $500,000 to the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) for the year 2016-17 announced by Indian diplomat Anjani Kumar a counsellor at India’s UN Mission at the pledging session held at UN
- The Marvelous City or Rio de Janeiro officially entered into the UN’s list of world heritage sites while UNESCO status was announced in 2012 in recognition of its soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest and beaches.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) lowered the 2016 growth estimate for India to 7 per cent from the previous 7.4 per cent on December 13, 2016, due to demonetisation, weak investment and agricultural slowdown. However, India’s growth forecast for 2017 remained unchanged at 7.8 per cent
- India on December 13, 2016, signed a Grant Agreement of USD 5.19 million with International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) for Additional Financing for Financing Energy Efficiency at MSMEs Project- Programmatic Framework for Energy Efficiency
- Indian e-commerce website Paytm has announced partnership with National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to enable cashless payments at all national and city toll plazas.
- V G Kannan took charge as Chief Executive of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) on December 14, 2016. He replaced M V Tanksale.
- The International Tennis Federation(ITF) named Andy Murray of Great Britain and Angelique Kerber of Germany as the 2016 ITF World Champions. They will receive the award at the 2017 ITF World Champions Dinner on 6 June 2017 in Paris.
Ace Indian cueist Pankaj Advani has won his 11th World Billiards (150-Up format) Championships title in the summit clash in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
The Punjab Government has launched India’s first amphibious bus project “Harike Cruise” at the Harike wetland near Amritsar. The amphibious bus project has cost the state government over Rs 11 crore.
The Uttar Pradesh government has tied up with Tata Trusts to leverage digital platforms to strengthen the public distribution system (PDS) in the state.
The world’s longest and deepest rail tunnel “Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT)” has officially begin its regular rail service on December 11, 2016 in Switzerland
Cristiano Ronaldo, a Portuguese professional footballer who plays for Spanish club Real Madrid and the Portugal national team, has won the prestigious 2016 Ballon d’Or award at an awards ceremony in Paris, France. With this, he won the 4th Ballon d’Or title in his career.
The Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs in collaboration with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and National Scheduled Tribes Finance and Development Corporation (NSTFDC) will launch “Vanjeevan” the National Resource Centre for Tribal Livelihood issues at Bhubaneswar, Odisha on December 22, 2016.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has been named among the top 100 global thinker by the US based Foreign Policy magazine.
- Kolkata based United Bank of India has adopted Patunagar and Sachindranagar Colony in the state of Tripura to implement schemes in the line of digital India program.UBI will make necessary steps to change the villages into truly cashless villages
- LIC Mutual Fund Asset Management Company on December 12, 2016, announced its readiness on Unified Payment Interface (UPI) in partnership with Standard Chartered Bank as mode of payment for its investors to invest in its schemes.
- Yes Bank has tied-up with e-grocer Grofers to deliver cash at doorstep, allowing customers to get cash of up to Rs 2,000 when they order grocery online.
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has signed an emergency order to ban country’s largest banknote 100 bolivars banknote to be taken out of circulation in the next 72 hours
- Rio Olympic silver medallist PV Sindhu awarded with Badminton World Federation (BWF) Most Improved Player of the Year award at the Players’ Reception and Gala Dinner in Dubai on December 12, 2016
- Bollywood Actress Priyanka Chopra is appointed as UNICEF Global Goodwill Ambassador for campaign “For Every Child.”
- Adelaide Oval, Australia to host first ever Day and Night Ashes
- President Pranab Mukherjee on the occasion of his 81st birthday on December 11, 2016 inaugurated a museum for vintage tapestries and carpets in the Marble Hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Technology giant Microsoft has launched its first full-scale Cybersecurity Engagement Centre (CSEC) in Delhi.
- US Secretary of State John Kerry was honored with the highest French civilian award, Legion of Honor ,on December 11, 2016 for his contribution in the favor of peace.
- Akshaykumar Kale elected President of 90th Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Sahitya Sammelan
- New Zealand’s Minister of Finance and leader of National Party Bill English was sworn in as the country’s new Prime Minister on December 12, 2016
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed a contract with a consortium of six companies on December 9, 2016, to build two navigation satellite jointly with private firms by March 2017.
- Scientists at the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona), identified a specific protein called CD36 which is responsible for spreading cancer.
- Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, N Chandababu Naidu launched the website of the Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board (AP-EDB), on December 10, 2016.
- NGT bench Directs Rajasthan Government to Cancel illegal salt pans in Sambhar Lake
- The very severe cyclonic storm, Vardah made landfall in Chennai about 3 pm on December 12, 2016, killing seven people in the state.
President Pranab Mukherjee has launched a “100 Million for 100 Million” campaign organized by the Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. The campaign is a global initiative that seeks to support 100 million youth to be the voice of the 100 million children and youth across the world who have been denied basic rights and freedom.
The chief minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan has recently launched Narmada Seva Yatra at Amarkantak. The purpose of the 5-months long Yatra is to turn the Narmada river pollution free and unceasing river.
Sunil Gavaskar has been bestowed with the Golden Jubilee Lifetime Achievement Award by the Sports Journalists’ Association of Mumbai (SJAM) at the Cricket Club of India in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Paolo Gentiloni has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Italy by President Sergio Mattarella
Iqbal Sayed from Mumbai, who works as a civil engineer with Reliance Infrastructure and Mumbai Metro, has become the first Indian to win a medal at the Mr. Olympia Amateur Asia 2016’s classic bodybuilding category in Hong Kong. He won silver medal in the event after beating participants from 20 countries in the classic bodybuilding category
The Madhya Pradesh government has become the first Indian state to launch the biggest and first-ever crop insurance claim distribution programme worth Rs 4,416 crore in Ujjain.
The International Mountain Day (IMD) is observed every year on December 11 to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life
- The 2016 India International Science festival (IISF) was organized at CSIR-National Physical Laboratory (NPL) Campus in New Delhi from December 7 to December 11, 2016 by the Department of Biotechnology and Ministry of Science & Technology.
- Railway Starts Giving Free Accidental Insurance Cover for Booking Railway Ticket Online
- Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry, Kiran Bedi on December 11, 2016 announced the decision about the selection of Thimmanaicken Palayam village in the Manaveli Assembly constituency under Model Village Scheme.
- Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti flagged off fortnightly special train ‘Vaadi ki sair’ (Tour of the Valley) on December 11, 2016, for children that will run between Banihal to Baramulla.
- The world’s longest rail tunnel, Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT), began operating on regular basis in Switzerland, on December 11, 2016, to provide service to the passengers.
- China Launches First, Second Generation Weather Satellite ‘Fengyun-4’
- The International Olympic Committee’s executive board on December 6, 2016, has granted provisional recognition to cheerleading and the martial art of muaythai as Olympic sports.
The Sardar Patel Cricket Stadium in Ahmedabad, popularly known as Motera Stadium, is set to become the world’s largest seating capacity cricket stadium.
The Union IT Minister Ravishankar Prasad has recently launched “Digidhan Abhiyan” to enable every citizen, small traders and merchants to adopt digital payments in their everyday financial transactions.
Nana Akufo-Addo has won the presidential election of the Republic of Ghana
India has been ranked 7th in the list of 163 countries most impacted by terrorism in 2015, according to the Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2016 released by Sydney-based think-tank “Institute for Economics & Peace”.
The book “Dipa Karmakar: The Small Wonder” has been authored by sports journalists Vimal Mohan, Digvijay Singh Deo and Dipa Karmakar’s coach Bishweshwar Nandi.
The first edition of Serendipity Arts Festival (SAF) will be held on the banks of river Mandovi in Panaji, Goa from December 16-23, 2016 to promote patronage of arts.
The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) has recently constituted committee to fight against the menace of online piracy.The committee will be chaired by Ajit Mohan of Hotstar and co-chaired by Uday Sodhi of SET India and Salil Kapoor of HOOQ
The Committee on Digital Payments headed by Ratan P. Watal has submitted its final report to the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his office in New Delhi.
- India and Vietnam signed a Civil Nuclear Cooperation Agreement (N-Pact) in New Delhi on December 9, 2016, in the presence of Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan and President of Vietnam’s National Assembly Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan.
- The 28th State Information Ministers Conference (SIMCON), 2016, was organised by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting from December 9 to December 10, 2016 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The Supreme Court on December 9, 2016, modified its order of November 30 to exempt physically handicapped persons from standing up in cinema halls when the national anthem is played before film screenings
- Civil rights activist Viola Desmond has emerged as the first Canadian Woman to be featured on the nations $ 10 Currency note.
- The Indian filmmaker Onir won the Hollywood Independent Documentary Awards for his Indo-Australian documentary, “Raising the Bar” which was selected as the ‘Best Foreign Documentary Feature’.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan launched the mobile applications – ‘ArisingKerala‘ and ‘Whistle Now’ – on the occasion of International Anti-Corruption Day.
- Human Rights Day observed on December 10,2016
The 5th India-Arab Partnership Conference will be held in Muscat, Oman on December 14, 2016 with an objective to enhance the economic relations between India and Arab countries and Oman.
The “Laureates and Leaders” Summit for Children will be hosted by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi from December 10 to 11, 2016.
The Allahabad High Court has termed the Islamic practice of divorcing a woman by uttering the word ‘talaq (Talaq-e-bidat)’ thrice as unconstitutional.
The Indian Army has launched a “Veterans Outreach App” i.e. dedicated to Army Veterans and Veer Naris.
The United Nations’ (UN) International Anti-Corruption Day (IACD) is observed every year on December 9 to promote and strengthen measures to prevent and combat corruption more efficiently and effectively.
- The Cabinet Committee headed by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on December 7, 2016, gave the approval for the development of the Phase-I of the Rs 11,420 crore Pune metro rail project.The project will cover a length of 31.254 km and consist of two corridors
- The Union Cabinet on December 7, 2016, approved MoU between India and Vietnam on Cooperation in the field of IT.
- The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between India and Afghanistan on cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space.
- The Union Cabinet gave the approval to the reforms to boost employment generation and exports in the Made-ups Sector.
- Cabinet approved the MoU signed between India and United Kingdom (UK) in area of Ease of Doing Business in India.
- Government on December 8, 2016, announced the Zero Effect Zero Defect (ZED)certification scheme which will guide and assist MSMEs across the country in Make in India sectors through quality control cells and rate them after carrying out assessment of their products.
- Kerala chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan on launched Haritha Keralam Mission in Thiruvananthapuram on December 8, 2016.To clear and remove waste from all the water bodies in the state, ensure disposal of solid waste and removal of waste water and measures to increase the area of land under cultivation
- Virbhadra Singh lead Himachal Pradesh government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Government of India for operational and financial turnaround of the DISCOM under the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY)
- The Lifeline Express, world’s first hospital train was equipped with two new coaches in addition to the existing five on December 8, 2016.
- Stockholders of the National Bank of Abu Dhabi and First Gulf Bank on December 7, 2016, approved to merge into the biggest bank of all Gulf Countries with an asset of $ 178 billion.
- US President elect Donald Trump was chosen as the TIME’s Person of the Year 2016 on December 7, 2016, for his outstanding victory in the US election
- Google parent Company, Alphabet has been named as the Company Of The Year by Fortune magazine in its annual Blue Ribbon ranking.
- The Supreme Court has ruled that horse racing as such is not animal cruelty
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu launched AP Purse mobile app in Vijayawada on December 6, 2016.To promote digital transaction among people
- India on December 7, 2016, has pledged to contribute USD 1.25 million to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).
- Hindi language has been listed at the 10th position in the Power Language Index Ranking by The World Economic Forum (WEF).English was placed at the 1st position and Mandarin at 2nd position followed by French
- The RBI Governor Urjit Patel led six-member MonetaryPolicy Committee (MPC) on December 7, 2016, announced the fifth bi-monthly monetary policy statement of 2016-2017, which is also the first policy after the implementation of the demonetization decision of Government.
i. Repo rate remained unchanged at 6.25%
ii. Reverse Repo at 5.75%
iii. Cash reserve ratio or CRR unchanged at 4%
iv. Due to demonetization, the central bank has lowered the GDP growth forecast from 7.6 per cent to 7.1 per cent for the current fiscal.Inflation target remains 5 percent for March 2017 with risks tilted to the upside.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has relaxed the Additional Factor Authentication (AFA) norms for online transactions up to Rs. 2,000 to save time transaction time of customers and also promote government’s digital payment program.
- 100 banks have joined the National Financial Switch (NFS) network as direct members established ATM networks, now NFS network comprise of 745 members said by Maharashtra based National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) on December 7, 2016
- Vijaya Bank has been honored with ‘Best Bank for SME Lending award’ at the fourth SMEs Excellence Award function held in New Delhi.The Best MSME Bank Award 2016 was given to The Corporation Bank by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM)
- The Indian Space Research Organisation successfully launched the Remote Sensing Satellite, Resourcesat-2A on December 7, 2016 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- Argentina win women’s Hockey Junior World Cup 2016
- Journalist, Political Analyst, Actor Cho Ramaswamy Dies
- International Civil Aviation Day observed on December 7, 2016
The Armed Forces Flag Day is celebrated annually in India on December 7
English has been ranked first in the top 10 most powerful languages in the world according to the 2016 World Power Language Index (PLI) published by World Economic Forum (WEF).
Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar has been appointed as the 44th Chief Justice of India. He will be sworn-in as the CJI on January 4, 2017.
- The south American nations have suspended Venezuela from Mercursor group. Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay are the members of Mercursor after removal of Venezuela
- Bernard Cazeneuve is elected as PM off France
- Mahaparinirwan diwas is observed on 6th Dec every year. DR. B R Ambedkar passed on this day. To pay tribute to him this day is celebrated
- The 12th international oil and gas conference PETROTECH – 16 is inaugurated by PM Narendra modi
- After the demise of AIADMK supremo Jayalalitha, Paneerselvam is sworn in as new CM of Tamil nadu
- The finance ministry made it mandatory for all govt departments to make payments above 5000 rupees through e-payment facility
- Amar abrol is appointed so MD of Air Asia
- The first-ever International Gita Mahotsav will be held in Kurukshetra, Haryana on December 6, 2016.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has won the online reader’s poll for TIME magazine’s Person of the Year 2016 with 18% of the vote.
- NITI Aayog will provide Rs. 5 lakh for every district in India to encourage digital payment system
- The first-of-its-kind app, “Stanpan Suraksha” has been launched by Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram to promote breastfeeding.
- The Government of Goa is set to launch its ambitious scheme “Goa Yuva Sanchar Yojana” on December 5, 2016, providing Limited Free Talktime and Internet Data to the youth in the state to comply with the central government’s Digital India initiative.
- Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has resigned on December 5, 2016
- An electronic commerce company Amazon launched it’s startup programme ‘Launchpad‘ in India to support Indian startups and scale up their business.
- The Finance Ministry made it mandatory on December 5, 2016 for all Government Departments to make Electronic Payments to suppliers, contractors or institutions if the order value exceeds Rs 5,000, to give a boost to Digital Payment System
- India has achieved the status of being a safe and dynamic investment destination in the world after it crossed the $ 300 billion Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) between April 2000 and September 2016.
- Maharashtra based Yes Bank has partnered with India’s smartest cab service Ola to set up mobile ATMs across 30 locations across 10 cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad and Jaipur.
- India’s largest public sector trading body MMTC(Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation ) tie-up with the State Bank of India (SBI) to sell government-minted Indian Gold Coin(24 Karat)which will be available in denominations of 5gm, 10gm and 20 gm bar.
- World’s largest bird festival organized in Agra to promote Eco-tourism
- Hailakandi District in Assam becomes first to Pay Wages to Tea workers via Bank Account
- Mangaluru girl, Srinidhi Shetty , was crowned Miss Supranational 2016 at a grand ceremony in Krynica Zdroj, Poland on December 2, 2016 . She also won the title of Miss Asia-Oceania.
- Tasmania-based Women’s Legal Service in collaboration with TRS Law
Offices, India has launched a website, http://www.Girlsgottaknow.in, for women in India to educate them about their legal rights.
- Indian women cricket team defeated rivals Pakistan by 17 runs in the Asia Cup Twenty20 final tournament held at the Asian Institute of Technology Ground in Bangkok on December 4, 2016.
- Indian Golfer Mukesh Kumar became the oldest golfer to win an Asian Tour title on December 4, 2016 at Delhi Golf Club (DGC) after winning the Panasonic Open India.
- The 45th Navy Day was observed on 4 December 2016. The day is observed every year to celebrate the magnificence, achievements and role of the naval force to the country.
- A 9-time Olympic gold medallist, Usain Bolt from Jamaica has won the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) male Athlete of the Year award for a record sixth time.
- J Ravichandran has been appointed as the interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE).
- Kolkata has been bagged the C40 Award for best solid waste management improvement project of 2016 during the C40 Mayors Summit held in Mexico .
- Kehkashan Basu, a UAE-based Indian environmental activist, has won the 2016 prestigious International Children’s Peace Prize for her fight for climate justice and combating environmental degradation.
- The 7th World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) has been organized at Science City, Kolkata from December 1 to December 4, 2016 by the World Ayurveda Foundation with support of Ministry of AYUSH, and the State Government of West Bengal.
- The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) has been decided to extend the time for deployment of Aadhaar-enabled devices till June 30, 2017
- Private sector lender DCB Bank launched its own mobile and tab based digital wallet Cippy Wallet app on December 2, 2016 in New Delhi to encourage consumers to experience cash free purchases from the mobile phone for day-to-day needs.
- A mobile application, Stanpan Suraksha, developed by an NGO Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI) to promote breast feeding and check on “inappropriate” promotion of baby food items, was launched by Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram on December 2, 2016 in New Delhi.
- Formula One champion Nico Rosberg announced his shocking retirement from racing on December 2, 2016, five days after earning his first world championship.
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Shri Prakash Javadekar launched a campaign‘Vittiya Saksharata Abhiyan’ (VISAKA) in New Delhi on December 1, 2016
- Dhasai village in Thane district of Maharashtra has become the first “cashless village”in the state on December 2, 2016 following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s appeal for cashless transaction.
- Indian Railways has taken steps to make railway travel bookings digital and asked the State Bank of India and ICICI Bank among others to provide around 15,000 point of sale (PoS) machines at reservation counters.
- Kochi based Federal Bank has tied up with Spice Digital for cash management services through the bank’s e-collection facility
- Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (ABFSG) launched new insurance arm under Aditya Birla Health Insurance (ABHICL)
- UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Katy Perry and Philanthropist Moll Anderson were honoured for their extraordinary commitment to put children first at the 12th Annual UNICEF Snowflake Ball in New York, USA
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) has won the AFC Developing Member Association of the Year Award at the Asian Football Confederation’s (AFC) Annual Awards held in Abu Dhabi on December 1, 2016.
- Gujarat-cadre IPS officer Rakesh Asthana elevated as the interim chief of the Central Bureau of Investigation(CBI) on December 3, 2016. He will replace Anil Sinha who retired from the post.
- Pakistan to host first Davis Cup match in 12 years
- The Border Security Force (BSF) celebrated its 51st Raising Day at Chhawla camp in New Delhi.
- The Union government launched a “Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) e-box BOX” in August 2016 for easy and confidential registration of complaints regarding sexual offence against children.
- India has recently signed Rs. 5,000 crore deal for 145 M777 ultra-light howitzers guns with the United States, which will be deployed in high-altitude areas in Arunachal Pradesh and Ladakh, bordering China.
- Praveen Mahajan, a former IRS officer, has became the first woman President of the All India Tennis Association (AITA). She succeeded Anil Khanna.
- India’s one of the ancient practices “Yoga” has been inscribed as an element in the UNESCO’s list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of humanity
- The 2016 India International Science festival (IISF) will be held in New Delhi from December 7 to 11, 2016
- Makkal Pavalar Inkulab, the legendary Tamil poet and activist, has recently passed away at Urappakkam in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has become the first Indian institute to be placed in the top 15 universities among top 300 universities in the latest Times Higher Education’s (THE) BRICS and Emerging Economies University Rankings 2017.
- Private sector lender Yes Bank has launched a new digital transaction service through mobile phones named SIMsePAY, that allows any account holder to do money transfers, pay utility bills and other mobile banking services, without the need for smart phones or internet.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the merger of Bharatiya Mahila Bank Ltd (BMBL) with the country’s largest lender State Bank of India.
- Maharashtra based private sector lender RBL Bank has launched Aadhaar Payment Bridge System (APBS) on November 30, 2016, for small ticket micro-finance loan disbursements.
- Bangalore-based space tech firm TeamIndus on December 1, 2016 signed a verified commercial launch contract with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for its mission to land a spacecraft on the moon.
- Magnus Carlsen defeats Sergey Karjakin to Win World Chess Championship
- World AIDS Day is observed 1st December every year to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection, and mourning those who have died of the disease
- The 7th World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) will be held from December 2, 2016 at Science City in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- The 7th edition of Heart of Asia (HoA) – Istanbul Ministerial Process will be held in Amritsar, Punjab from December 3, 2016.
- Ruskin Bond has been honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 14th edition of Raymond Crossword Book Award on November 29, 2016 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- MM Kutty, a 1985 batch IAS officer, has been appointed as the new Delhi chief secretary.
- Lewis Hamilton, a British Formula One racing driver from England, has won the 2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- The Delhi High court on November 29, 2016, directed that a son, irrespective of his marital status does not have any legal right to live in his parents’ house.
- Supreme Court Mandates Playing National Anthem in Theatres Before Movies
- According to the ‘Global Enabling Trade Report 2016’ of World Economic Forum (WEF), India has improved its ranking by four places to 102nd position among 136 economies in terms of enabling cross border trade.
- Public Sector Bank’s Gross NPAs increased nearly Rs 80,000 crore in July-September 2016
- Central Mine Planning and Design Institute Ltd (CMPDI) the consultancy arm of Coal India Ltd has signed a memorandum of understanding(MoU) with Mumbai based SBI Capital Markets to increase their market share in the rapidly growing consultancy area.
- Arunachal Pradesh and Thailand signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on November 29, 2016 for promoting cooperation and collaboration between the states.
- Sachin Tendulkar’s autobiography “Playing it my Way” has won the Crossword Book of the Year Award (Autobiography category)
- US President-elect Donald Trump nominated a second Indian-American woman, Dr. Seema Verma to a top administration position on November 29, 2016, as in charge of a federal agency within the health department.
- Scientists in Israel has developed the world’s first “water-wave laser,” that generates laser radiation through the interaction between light and water waves.
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) chairman R K Chaturvedi has launched its digital portal named ‘Parinam Manjusha’ to provide easier access to academic documents online
- Seven-year-old Hashim Mansoor from Kashmir’s Bandipora district has won a gold medal at the Asian Youth Karate Championships, being held at New Delhi.
- 47th Edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) 2016 held in Goa
- ICICI Bank’s Adopted Akodara Village becomes India’s first Digital Village
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu has been nominated by the Central Government to head the sub-committee of Chief Ministers of five States constituted to deal with the situation arising out of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denomination notes.
- 78 schemes covered under DBT system
- Zimbabwe launches ‘bond notes’ currency in bid to ease cash crunch.Currency hold its value against the U.S. dollar
- Amitabh Bachchan Starrer Pink To Be Screened at UN Headquarters on Special Invitation
- Mumbai based ICICI Bank announced to transform 100 villages into ‘ICICI Digital Villages’ in 100 days to enable villagers go in cash less banking and payments transactions.
- Union government lead by PM Narendra Modi has approved six proposals from four developers to set up new special economic zones (SEZs) IT and biotechnology across Telangana, Haryana and Karnataka .
- Pankaj Advani claims bronze medal at IBSF World Snooker Championship
- Goa will become the first state in India to go cashless from December 31, 2016.
- “Magical Piano”, a short film by the Toonz Media Group, has won an award at the prestigious UNESCO Salon Youth Video Competition 2016.
- The Argentina Davis Cup team has won the 2016 edition of Davis Cup tennis tournament by defeating Croatia in the final by 3-2 in Zagreb, Croatia.
- Lt-General A K Bhatt has been appointed as the new Director-General of Military Operations (DGMO)