- A 9-time Olympic gold medallist, Usain Bolt from Jamaica has won the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) male Athlete of the Year award for a record sixth time.
- J Ravichandran has been appointed as the interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE).
- Kolkata has been bagged the C40 Award for best solid waste management improvement project of 2016 during the C40 Mayors Summit held in Mexico .
- Kehkashan Basu, a UAE-based Indian environmental activist, has won the 2016 prestigious International Children’s Peace Prize for her fight for climate justice and combating environmental degradation.
- The 7th World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) has been organized at Science City, Kolkata from December 1 to December 4, 2016 by the World Ayurveda Foundation with support of Ministry of AYUSH, and the State Government of West Bengal.
- The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) has been decided to extend the time for deployment of Aadhaar-enabled devices till June 30, 2017
- Private sector lender DCB Bank launched its own mobile and tab based digital wallet Cippy Wallet app on December 2, 2016 in New Delhi to encourage consumers to experience cash free purchases from the mobile phone for day-to-day needs.
- A mobile application, Stanpan Suraksha, developed by an NGO Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI) to promote breast feeding and check on “inappropriate” promotion of baby food items, was launched by Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram on December 2, 2016 in New Delhi.
- Formula One champion Nico Rosberg announced his shocking retirement from racing on December 2, 2016, five days after earning his first world championship.