India’s largest indoor sports arena will come up in New Town area of Kolkata, West Bengal with a capacity to accommodate upto 15,400 people at one time
The 6th edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) has inaugurated by Union Minister of Urban Development Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi on December 14, 2016
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has cut India’s economic growth forecast to 7.0% from 7.4% for the financial year 2016-17 in the updated report of Asian Development Outlook 2016 due to weak investments, a slowdown in the country’s agriculture sector and the lack of available cash due to the government’s decision to ban high-denomination bank notes.
India is at 4th position in the list of top 10 defence spenders in the world, according to the recently published annual Jane’s Defense Budgets Report by research firm IHS Markit.
The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) in Hyderabad has become the 2nd airport in the Asia-Pacific region among all categories to achieve carbon neutral status.
The book “Many Everests: An Inspiring Journey of Transforming Dream into Reality” has been authored by Ravindra Kumar, who is an ex-seafarer, IAS officer & mountaineer.
- The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2014, which aims at securing and enhancing the rights and entitlements of disabled persons was passed with amendments in the Rajya Sabha on December 14, 2016.
- The 9th edition of the annual bilateral maritime exercise between Indian Navy and Russian Navy, INDRA NAVY, started off in the Bay of Bengal on December 14 and will continue till 21 December 2016.
- According to the 2016 Jane’s Defence Budgets Report, released by research firm IHS Markit on December 12, 2016, India has become the fourth largest defence spender in the world, after US, China, and the UK
- India will contribute $500,000 to the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) for the year 2016-17 announced by Indian diplomat Anjani Kumar a counsellor at India’s UN Mission at the pledging session held at UN
- The Marvelous City or Rio de Janeiro officially entered into the UN’s list of world heritage sites while UNESCO status was announced in 2012 in recognition of its soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest and beaches.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) lowered the 2016 growth estimate for India to 7 per cent from the previous 7.4 per cent on December 13, 2016, due to demonetisation, weak investment and agricultural slowdown. However, India’s growth forecast for 2017 remained unchanged at 7.8 per cent
- India on December 13, 2016, signed a Grant Agreement of USD 5.19 million with International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) for Additional Financing for Financing Energy Efficiency at MSMEs Project- Programmatic Framework for Energy Efficiency
- Indian e-commerce website Paytm has announced partnership with National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to enable cashless payments at all national and city toll plazas.
- V G Kannan took charge as Chief Executive of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) on December 14, 2016. He replaced M V Tanksale.
- The International Tennis Federation(ITF) named Andy Murray of Great Britain and Angelique Kerber of Germany as the 2016 ITF World Champions. They will receive the award at the 2017 ITF World Champions Dinner on 6 June 2017 in Paris.