- The governing body of Central Board of Secondary Exams (CBSE) has decided that Class X Board exams will be compulsory from academic session 2017-18. Currently, it is optional for CBSE students to choose either the Board exam or a school-based examination.
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has ordered to impose a fine of 50,000 rupees on airlines whose aircraft empty toilet tanks in air while landing and splattering human waste on houses near airports.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its approval for doubling of Rajpura-Bhatinda railway line in Punjab. The 172.64 km long railway line is expected to be completed in five years
- The Union Ministry of State for Development of North Eastern Region has announced to provide 207 crore rupees for protection and development project of world’s largest river island Majuli located along river Brahmaputra in Assam
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced to create separate Ministry for Other Backward Classes (OBCs)
- According to report published in Forbes magazine, India has surpassed its colonial masters United Kingdom to become world’s sixth-largest economy in GDP terms for first time after nearly 150 years.
- India ranked 4th in the Global Wind Power Installed Capacity index with cumulative installed wind power generation capacity of 25,088 MW in 2015.
- For the first time National Security Guards (NSG), an elite counter-terror force of India will participate in Republic Day celebrations on January 26, 2017.
- Long range nuclear-capable subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay was testfired from the launch complex 3 of the Integrated Missile Test Range in Balasore, Odisha.