- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to launch record 103 satellites in a single flight in the first week of February 2017. It will be a major feat for India as so far no country has attempted it.
- China has launched its longest bullet train ‘Shangri-la of the World’ connecting Kunming in Yunnan Province to Shanghai. The 2252 km Shanghai-Kunming line links China’s prosperous eastern coast with the less-developed south-western part.
- Norway is set to become the first country in the world to switch off its FM radio network. In this regard, Scandinavian country’s parliament has approved a proposal to shift to Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB).
- The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has banned the import of skins of reptiles and fur of minks, foxes and chinchillas. It is considered as a landmark decision that will spare the lives of tens of thousands of animals killed for their exotic skins for the leather industry.
- The Union Cabinet has given an ‘in-principal’ approval for strategic disinvestment of 26% equity shares in defence equipment manufacturer BEML Ltd. out of government’s shareholding of 54.03%.
- The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) Limited will soon launch new ticketing app IRCTC Rail Connect. The app will be equipped with latest technology and will be based on next generation e-ticketing system.
- According to the tech research firm Counterpoint, Chinese mobile brands have taken control of 50% of India’s $10-billion smartphone market in late 2016.
- The world’s second largest zinc producer Hindustan Zinc Ltd (HZL) of Vedanta Group has received environment clearance for its Rs. 1,200 crore Zawar Mines expansion project in Rajasthan.
- Andhra Pradesh Government has announced a monetary reward of Rs 100 crore to anyone from the state government who wins Nobel Prize