- Ecuadorean leftist Lenín Boltaire Moreno Garces has won the 2017 Ecuador Presidential election after securing 51.16% of votes in the election. He will be Ecuador’s 44th President and will take office on May 24, 2017.
- The 2017 National conference on Communicating India has held in New Delhi on April 5, 2017. The three main themes for the conference are ‘Telling India’s story to the world’, ‘Communicating via Journalism’ and ‘Dialogue with Diaspora’.
- Geeta Johri, a 1982-batch IPS officer, has been appointed Director General of Police (DGP) of Gujarat. With this, Johari has become the first woman IPS officer to be appointed for the top job in the state.
- The Union Government has recently constituted National Board of Electric Mobility (NBEM) to promote electric mobility and manufacturing of electric (& hybrid) vehicles and their components.
- Aleksandar Vucic, the current Prime Minister of Serbia, has won the 2017 Serbian Presidential election by 55% of votes. He will take office on May 31, 2017.
- S.P. Bala Subramanyam, the renowned playback singer, actor and music director, has won the NTR National Film Award for 2012 and Hindi film actor Hema Malini will receive the same for 2013.
- Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli has been honoured as the Wisden’s Leading Cricketer in the World for 2016. Apart from this, Kohli has already been declared Wisden India Almanack’s Cricketer of the Year for the second time in its 2017 edition.
- India has been ranked 3rd for the third year in a row in the recently published Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRVs) report for year 2015.
- Sai Kiran P (18) from Telangana (presently studying at Chennai) has won the second prize in the grade 12 category of the 2017 Nasa Ames Space Settlement Contest for proposing an elevator from Earth to the Moon.