- Bhubaneswar has become the first Indian city to won 2017 Pierre L’enfant Planning Excellence and Achievement Awards-2017, which is instituted by the American Planning Association (APA)
- Yashwanth Naidu, a deaf and Dumb Cricketer from Andhra Pradesh, has been declared Man of the Tournament in the T-20 Asia Cup for his controlled bowling at Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Prof. Sankha Ghosh, an eminent Bengali poet and literary critic, has been conferred the 52nd edition of the Jnanpith Award (2016) by President Pranab Mukherjee at a function in New Delhi on April 27, 2017.
- Bollywood Actor Shah Rukh Khan has become the first Indian actor to deliver a speech at the internationally acclaimed TED Talks.
- India has been ranked 136th out of 180 countries in the latest annual World Press Freedom Index (WPFI-2017).
- The Indian short film “Azaad” will be screened by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural organisation (UNESCO) as part of 2017 World Press Freedom Day (WPFD) event, which will be held from May 1-4, 2017 in Jakarta, Indonesia.