- Prakash Javadekar, the Union Human Resource Development Minister, has launched Students for soldiers- a nationwide “Vidya – Veerta Abhiyan” on May 2, 2017 to encourage Universities to display portraits of Param Veer Chakra (PVC)-decorated soldiers.
- The UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) has released its annual flagship report ‘The Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific 2017’ on May 1, 2017.
- Yusra Mardini, a Syrian woman who helped save a boat carrying fellow refugees, has been appointed a new Goodwill Ambassador for United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to work harder for people seeking shelter from war. She is the Syrian refugee & Olympic athlete and has been granted asylum in Germany.
- Rafael Nadal, a Spanish professional tennis player, has won the 2017 Men’s Singles Barcelona Open Tennis Tournament by defeating Dominic Thiem of Austria in the summit clash by 6-4, 6-1 in Barcelona, Spain.
- Joshna Chinappa has won the 19th edition of Women’s singles Asian Individual Squash Championships (AISC) by defeating compatriot Dipika Pallikal Karthik in the women’s final at the Express Avenue Mall in Chennai, Tamil Nadu on April 29, 2017.
- Shobana Kamineni, executive vice chairperson of the Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Limited, has been appointed as first Woman President of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- Dr. Sanjay Pratihar, a scientist at Tezpur University, has been chosen for the prestigious Indian National Science Academy (INSA) medal for the Young Scientist Award for the year 2017 for his excellent contribution to multi-metal complexes, theoretical understanding, selective sensing of Hq2+ions and important applications in agriculture.
- Dubai has become the first city in the world to have its own Microsoft-designed font “Dubai Font”.