- Sanjay Mitra, the 1982 batch officer of West Bengal cadre, will be the new defence secretary of India for a fixed two-year tenure after G Mohan Kumar retires on May 24, 2017.
- Harpreet Singh from India has won the bronze mendal in Greco-Roman 80kg category at 2017 Asian Wrestling Championships. He edged out Na Junjie of China by 3-2 in the play-off for the bronze medal.
- Prof. Vikram Vishal, the assistant professor in the Earth Sciences department of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, has been conferred with the 2017 Young Scientist award from the Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the digital filing system “Integrated Case Management Information System (ICMIS)” of Supreme Court at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi to serve as a digital repository for case-related information. This digital filing system will enable the Supreme Court of India (SCI) to go paperless
- The 29th edition of India–Indonesia bilateral maritime exercise “Co-Ordinated Patrol (CORPAT)” has started at Port Blair under the aegis of Andaman and Nicobar Command from May 9 and will continue till May 12, 2017
- Dr. Hubert Minnis has been elected as the new Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, after delivering a crushing defeat to Perry Christie’s Progressive Liberal Party in a 34-5 parliamentary split.
- Radha Mohan Singh, the Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, has recently launched an online interface “e-Krishi Samvad” in New Delhi to provide direct solution to the problem faced by farmers in the agriculture sector.