- The Vishakhapatnam railway station in Andhra Pradesh has been adjudged as the cleanest railway station among the 75 busiest stations in the country in category A1, followed by Secunderabad, Jammu Tawi, Vijayawada and Anand Vihar railway stations.
- Mukesh Ambani, the chairman of Reliance Industries, has been named among the 25 most influential business leaders from around the world in the Forbes Global Game Changers 2017 list.
- According to recently revised United Nations “World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) as of mid- 2017” report, India’s GDP growth forecast has been downward from 7.7% to 7.3% in fiscal 2017. Earlier, the January edition of UN report had not taken into consideration the impact of the demonetisation policy on India’s economic growth.
- Sanjay Gubbi of Karnataka and Dr. Purnima Barman of Assam have won the prestigious 2017 Whitley Award, popularly known as Green Oscars, for their efforts in wildlife conservation. Ms. Barman has won the award for creating an all-female network to save the Greater Adjutant stork, known in India as Hargila, and its wetland habitat in Assam, while Mr. Gubbi has been awarded for his work to protect tiger corridors in Karnataka.
- Anil Madhav Dave (60), the Union Environment Minister, has passed away in New Delhi on May 18, 2017.
- Indian scientist Shrinivas Kulkarni has won the prestigious 2017 Dan David prize in the “Future” category for his contribution in the field of astronomy.
- Pranay Varada, an Indian-American student, has won the prestigious $50,000 National Geographic Bee competition for year 2017.