- India and Singapore signed a Third Protocol on December 30, 2016, for amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) for the avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- India and Singapore signed a Third Protocol on December 30, 2016, for amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) for the avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- The President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee approved the promulgation of the Specified Bank Notes (Cessation of Liabilities) Ordinance, 2016 on 30th December, 2016.
- Sikkim has emerges as the India’s first fully organic state by converting around 75,000 hectares of agricultural land into sustainable cultivation.
- Sikkim was conferred with the overall best state in education in June. Kanchenjunga National Park in West Sikkim was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site by the world heritage site committee on July 17.
- Mori village under Sakhinetipalli mandal in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh placed on India’s digital map by transforming completely into a Smart Digital Village said by Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu
- Indian state-owned banking and financial services company Bank of Baroda has launched an agricultural investment credit for the farmers in Sri Ganganagar, Rajasthan on December 31, 2016
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the period of enhanced Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPI) limit of Rs 20,000 to meet the needs of people to perform digital payments.
- The Centre on December 30 announced that it has extended the last date for availing the Direct Tax Dispute Resolution Scheme to January 31, 2017 from the earlier deadline of December 31, 2016.
- Mother Dairy Fruit & Vegetable Pvt Ltd was introduced Aadhar enabled payment system in its booths and ‘Safal’ retail stores.
- An Indian-origin British professor of chemistry, Shankar Balasubramanian, received a Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II for his contribution to the field of science and medicine at the New Year Honours announced on December 30, 2016.
- Mumbai’s Kush Bhagat made history on December 29 after winning three gold medals in the 1st Western Asia Youth Chess Championship held in Al Ain Chess Club, UAE.
- The Ratan Watal committee has recently submitted report on promoting digital payments to the Union Government.
- India’s first centre for digital investigation and training has been set up by the Haryana police in collaboration with National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) in Gurgaon to increase cyber policing and monitor social media content.
- The Haryana Government will set up a pilot corridor for an innovative concept of ‘Caterpillar Train (or C-Train)’ that will fly over city’s traffic, in Gurgaon city. The C-train includes a citywide network of lightweight, elevated train coaches running at about 100 kmph on a track supported by poles bent into arches.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently launched an Aadhaar-based mobile app “Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM)” to promote easier digital payments and transactions at Digi Dhan Mela at talkatora stadium in New Delhi. The Bhim app is named after Dr B R Ambedkar and will empower small traders, tribals and farmers.
- The 2016 World Bhojpuri Conference has started in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh on December 29 to strengthen the links of people of Indian-origin, who once belonged to the Bhojpuri-speaking belt in India and had migrated to different parts of the world.
- The World Bank (WB) has recently approved a $235 million credit for the Bihar Rural Roads Project to improve and effectively manage rural road network of the state. The project will support the construction of about 2,500 km of rural roads under the Mukhiya Mantri Gram Sampark Yojana (MMGSY).
- The world’s highest bridge “Beipanjiang Bridge” has been opened to traffic in China.
- The Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, Thaawarchand Gehlot has recently launched the ‘Mobile App and Facebook Page’ of the National Trust on December 30 to mark the ‘2016 National Trust Foundation Day (NTFD)’ on the theme “Celebrating Inclusion” to create support network for persons with disabilities by sensitizing unreached section of society.
- The Swachh Swasth Sarvatra is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation to achieve better health outcomes through improved sanitation and increased awareness and healthy lifestyles.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated the 77th session of Indian History Congress (IHC) at University of Kerala in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala on December 29, 2016.
- India’s first Digi Dhan mela has been held in Gurugram, Haryana on December 26, 2016 to promote digital and cashless transactions. In it, a customer can purchase any item meant for sale by paying digitally only.
- Anil Baijal, a 1969 batch IAS officer, has been appointed as the new Lt Governor of Delhi. He succeeded Najeeb Jung
- Debbie Reynolds (84), the legendary actress of Hollywood, has recently passed away in Los Angeles, California on December 28, 2016.
- Indian Army has partnered with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Gandhinagar to set up a Research and Development (R&D) cell at the IIT campus.
- Pruthviraj Ayachi (16), who hails from Gujarat, has won the gold medal in the junior men’s 50M Rifle Prone event at the National Shooting Championship in Pune, Maharashtra. He shot 209.5 in the finals and equals the score of the Rio Olympics’ gold medalist.
- Nedumkayam, Nilambur in Malapuram District of Kerala has become the India’s first cashless and digital tribal colony.
- Sunderlal Patwa (92), the former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh and senior BJP leader, has recently passed away in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- The 24th edition of National Children’s and Science Congress (NCSC) has started at Vidyapratisthan’s Institute of Information Technology (VIIT) in Baramati, Pune on December 27, 2016
- The Maharashtra government will create a new ministry for welfare of Vimukta Jati and Nomadic Tribes (VJNT), OBCs and Special Backward classes (SBCs) and will be headed by an independent minister.
- Prof. Viral Acharya, an economics professor of the United States University, has been appointed as the new deputy governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for a term of 3 years.
- Dr. Satya Narayan, the well-known Rajasthani litterateur, has been chosen for the 26th edition of Bihari Puraskar for 2016 for his Hindi book titled, “Yeh Ek Dunia”.
- The book “I am a troll” has been authored by journalist Swati Chaturvedi. The author targets the trolling affair of ruling government in the social media.
- The 8th edition of Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit will be held at Mahatma mandir, Gandhinagar from January 10th to 13th, 2017
- The Assam Government has recently launched a health insurance scheme “Atal-Amrit Abhiyan” to provide coverage against several critical illnesses. The scheme will offer coverage against 437 illnesses in six disease groups viz. cardiovascular, cancer, kidney, neo-natal, neurological conditions and burns.
- China has successfully tested the newest version of the J-31stealth fighter “FC-31 Gyrfalcon”, the 5th generation fighter jet.
- Vera Rubin (88), an American astronomer who pioneered work on galaxy rotation rates, has recently passed away in Princeton, New Jersey.
- The Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) has recently launched “Bank Sakhi” innovative scheme for employing women in villages to promote and improve the cashless transactions in rural areas at a programme held at Adavi Somapura village in Gadag district, Karnataka.
- The book “Emperor Chandragupta” has been authored by Adity Kay. This is the story of a youth who fought against all odds – within and without – to become one of the greatest emperors ever known
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone for the Chardham highway development project (or the Chardham Mahamarg Vikas Pariyojna) at Parade Ground in Dehradun, Uttarakhand to improve connectivity to the Char Dham pilgrimage centres (Gangotri, Yamunotri, Kedarnath and Badrinath) in the Himalayas.
- Samit Gohel, the opening batsman of Gujarat, has broke a 117-year-old record in the first-class cricket by notching up the highest score while carrying his bat through the innings of 359 not out during his team’s Ranji Trophy quarter-final against Odisha at Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- Lt Gen Vinod Vashisht is the newly appointed Director General of National Cadet Corps (NCC).
- The registration fees for Hindus and other minority community people from three neighbouring countries namely Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh, as Indian citizens have been reduced to as low as Rs.100 from Rs.15,000.
- IDFC Bank has recently launched the aadhaar-linked cashless merchant solution “Aadhaar Pay” that uses a retailers’ smartphone to enable digital payments. It has been developed by IDFC Bank in association with Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- The book “India-US Relations in the Age of Uncertainty: An uneasy courtship” has been authored by BM Jain. It offers a comprehensive analysis of the evolution of US-India relations from estranged democracies to strategic partners.
- The Google India will launch “Digitally Safe Consumer” campaign with the Ministry of Consumer Affairs in 2017 to raise awareness and protect consumer interest on the internet.
- George Michael (53), the British pop superstar and founding member of Wham!, has recently passed away at Goring, England. He sold more than 100 million albums in his career.
- Rupak Kumar Dutta, the senior IPS officer, has been appointed as the new special secretary in the internal security department of the Ministry of Home Affairs and will be at the post till October 31, 2017
- Dinanath Bhargava (89), an international fame painter, has recently passed away in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. He was the co-artist in the team that sketched the national emblem ‘Lion Capital of Ashoka’ and decorated the pages of the Constitution’s manuscript.
- The Odisha Government will launch a new malaria control programme “Durgama Anchalare Malaria Nirakaran (DAMAN)” for 5 years with a total spending of Rs. 120 crore.
- The powerful typhoon “Nock-Ten” has recently hit the coast near Catanduanes Island in Philippines with winds up to 140 km/ hour.
- Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan has been conferred honorary doctorate at the 6th convocation of the Maulana Azad National Urdu University in Hyderabad for extraordinary contribution towards promotion of Urdu language and culture.
- The Madhya Pradesh government has recently launched “Nagar Uday Abhiyan” on December 25, 2016 in all 378 urban bodies in the state.
- Shankha Ghosh, the well-known Bengali poet, critic and academician, has been selected for the prestigious 52nd edition of the Jnanpith Award (2016) by the Government of India (GoI) for his poetic idiom and experiments with various poetic forms mark his greatness as a creative talent
- The Union government will launched the “Digi-Dhan Vyapar Yojana” for Merchants and “Lucky Grahak Yojana” for Consumers in New Delhi. The purpose of the schemes is to encourage people to move towards significantly higher usage of digital transactions through the offer of incentives. Both the schemes will be implemented by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)
- The Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Ram Vilas Paswan has recently launched an ‘Online Consumer Mediation Centre (OCMC)’ in association with the Bengaluru’s National Law School of India University (NLSIU) to provide speedy redressal of consumer grievances in New Delhi.
- Jeje Lalpekhlua, the Mohun Bagan and Chennaiyin FC striker, has been named the 2016 All India Football Federation (AIFF) Player of the Year.
- The ICICI bank has recently launched “EazyPay” a mobile-based application for merchants that allow consolidation of all modes of payments, including digital wallets, Unified Payments Interface (UPI), QR code, and credit & debit cards.
- The Good Governance Day (GGD) is observed every year in India to mark the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- US President Barack has signed the National Defence Authorisation Act, 2017 to recognise India major defence partner of the United States of America.
- India has agreed to export to Nepal an additional 240 MW of electricity in a bid to lessen the power shortage of the Himalayan nation.
- India’s longest expressway connecting Agra and Lucknow was thrown open for public after inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav in November 2016.
- The Maharashtra forest department is going to launch a state-wide 24×7 helpline for registering complaints or getting information about issues related to forests and wildlife from January 6, 2017
- The Dharamshala vegetable market has become the first cashless market in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has opened a banking ombudsman office in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. It is the third ombudsman office in North India after Kanpur and Chandigarh.
- India’s seasoned Winter Olympian Shiva Keshavan has won gold medal at Asian Luge Championships held at Nagano in Japan.
- India won the 2016 Asian Cricket Council Under-19s Asia Cup title by defeating Sri Lanka by 34 runs in Colombo.
- Sixteen-time world champion Pankaj Advani has won the 2016 National title in 6-red Snooker, the shorter format of the game.
- Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung submitted his resignation to the Central Government, 18 months prior to his completion of term.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of Madan Mohan Malviya Cancer Centre in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. He also inaugrated super-speciality hospital at Banaras Hindu University,trade facilitation centre and a crafts museum, along with some projects under the Union Textile Ministry.
- Union Minister of State for Ayush Shripad Yesso Naik inaugurated North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Homeopathy (NEIAH) in Shillong, capital city of Meghalaya
- The Union Finance Ministry has allowed use of old bank notes of 500 and 1,000 rupees for payment towards tax, surcharge, penalty and deposit under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) till 30 December 2016.
- The Union Water Resources Ministry has reconstituted a committee that was tasked with assisting the Krishna River Management Board (KRMB). The new committee will be headed by A.K. Bajaj, former chairman of the Central Water Commission (CWC)
- The Union Ministry of Coal has launched Coal Mitra, a web portal for allowing flexibility in utilization of domestic Coal.
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has become the first force in the world to induct yaks for strategically pivotal logistic support duties. Yaks are commonly referred as the ‘ships of the cold deserts’.
- France became the first country in the world to use drones for national mail service.
- Flock, a team messenger for businesses has launched world’s first chat operating system “FlockOS”. It allows developers to build customised apps, bots and integrations on Flock.
- Scientists have named pink-and-yellow coral-reef fish as Tosanoides obama in the honour of outgoing US President Barack Obama.
- Recently released Global Wage Report 2016-17 released by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) has found that India suffers from huge gender pay gap.
- Five-time world champion and Olympic bronze medalist MC Mary Kom was awarded the AIBA Legends award by the International Boxing Federation (AIBA)
- Indian offspiner Ravichandran Ashwin won the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy after being named the ICC Cricketer of the Year besides the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year. He is only the third Indian player ever win this trophy. The other two Indians are Rahul Dravid (won in 2004) and Sachin Tendulkar (2010).
- Government will soon set up a toll free number 10588 to provide relevant information and guidance directly to the pregnant women. The toll free number will be functional at Mother and Child Tracking Facilitation Centre (MCTFC) in New Delhi.
- India will be hosting the fifth edition of the Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCSS) in 2017 in which over 100 countries are expected to participate
- Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu launched ‘Google Toilet Locator’ mobile application to help people locate the nearest toilet. It was launched as part of the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ as well as ‘Digital India Mission’
- Nepal will hold its first ever joint military exercise named Pratikar-1 with China on February 10, 2017.
- The New Development Bank (NDB) India has approved $75 million loan for Shanghai Lingang Distributed Solar Power Project in China. It has maturity length of 17 years.
- Hong Kong, a China-administered special territory has decided to withdraw visa-free facility for Indians from January 23, 2017.
- India’s second centre of excellence for sericulture will be soon launched in Bengaluru, Karnataka by Union minister for Textiles Smriti Irani. The centre will aim to boost the silk industry. India’s first such centre was set up in Ranchi (Jharkhand) by the Central Silk Board
- The National Mathematics Day is observed every year on 22nd December to celebrate birth anniversary of great Indian autodidact Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed fine on five foreign banks namely, Standard Chartered Bank, Deutsche Bank, Bank of America, Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi and The Royal Bank of Scotland for violating reporting requirements of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), 1999.
- The Bank of Baroda (BoB) became the first Indian company to sign up as a national supporter of the 2017 FIFA Under-17 World Cup to be hosted by India in October 2017.
- Ace Indian cricketing bowler Ravichandran Ashwin was named the ICC Cricketer of the Year 2016 and the ICC Test cricketer of the Year 2016. With this, he became the second Indian player after Rahul Dravid to bag the two coveted prizes in the same year.
- India’s Arjun Bhati (12) secured the first position in Kids Golf World Championship 2016 held in Malaysia defeating South Africa’s Methu Denish
- The governing body of Central Board of Secondary Exams (CBSE) has decided that Class X Board exams will be compulsory from academic session 2017-18. Currently, it is optional for CBSE students to choose either the Board exam or a school-based examination.
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has ordered to impose a fine of 50,000 rupees on airlines whose aircraft empty toilet tanks in air while landing and splattering human waste on houses near airports.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its approval for doubling of Rajpura-Bhatinda railway line in Punjab. The 172.64 km long railway line is expected to be completed in five years
- The Union Ministry of State for Development of North Eastern Region has announced to provide 207 crore rupees for protection and development project of world’s largest river island Majuli located along river Brahmaputra in Assam
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has announced to create separate Ministry for Other Backward Classes (OBCs)
- According to report published in Forbes magazine, India has surpassed its colonial masters United Kingdom to become world’s sixth-largest economy in GDP terms for first time after nearly 150 years.
- India ranked 4th in the Global Wind Power Installed Capacity index with cumulative installed wind power generation capacity of 25,088 MW in 2015.
- For the first time National Security Guards (NSG), an elite counter-terror force of India will participate in Republic Day celebrations on January 26, 2017.
- Long range nuclear-capable subsonic cruise missile Nirbhay was testfired from the launch complex 3 of the Integrated Missile Test Range in Balasore, Odisha.
- The Union Government is planning launch toll-free number ‘1955’ for taking feedback on call drops from telecom subscribers. The short code 1955 was allotted for IVRS system on call drop.
- The first issue of bilingual newspaper Saanjhi Saanjh dedicated to senior citizen was recently released. This newspaper has 8 pages which will be published by Harikrit publishers from Delhi.
- The Union Government has decided to provide additional grace period of 60 days to farmers, whose crop loan dues fall between 1st of November and 31st December, 2016.
- The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs launched a website http://www.haj.gov.in related to Haj Matters in New Delhi. The website is available in Hindi, Urdu and English languages.
- India and Kyrgyzstan have signed six Memoranda of Understanding (MoU)/ Agreements including in the fields of tourism, agriculture and food industry
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of the country’s first Indian Institute of Skills (IIS) in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh to make India the Skill Capital of the World
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh dedicated country’s first cashless bazaar in state capital Raipur to people.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will shortly issue 500 rupee banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi New series with the inset letter E having star mark in the number
- The Russian ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov was killed when a gunman opened fire when he was about to deliver a speech on opening of the exhibition “Russia in the eyes of Turks” in Ankara
- President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar (64) as 44th Chief Justice of India as per Article 124 of the Constitution.
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has said that political parties cannot accept donations in old 500 and 1,000 rupee notes since these bills have been demonetised.
- The India-Nepal Folk Crafts Festival (INCF) began in Kathmandu. The festival is an initiative of South Asia Foundation (SAF) to promote cultural exchanges between the two neighbors.
- The Union Government has decided to set up a single permanent Tribunal to adjudicate all inter-State river water disputes. This single body will subsume all existing tribunals for resolving grievances of inter-State water disputes in a speedy manner
- The Union government has formed a high-level inter-ministerial task force to look into all the strategic aspects of Indus Water Treaty (IWT) with Pakistan. It will be headed by Prime Minister’s Principal Secretary Nripendra Mishra
- The Union Power Ministry is going to launch new mobile application GARV-II to provide real time data of all six lakh villages of the country.
- The Union AYUSH Ministry has launched ‘Swasthya Raksha Programme’ to promote health and health education in villages.
- Lanura in Budgam district has become the first village to go ‘cashless’ in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah inaugurated state’s first air ambulance service at HAL airport in the state capital Bengaluru.
- Actress Priyanka Chopra will be the brand ambassador for Assam tourism.
- Stephanie del Valle (19) of Puerto Rico has been crowned Miss World 2016
- Ukraine has nationalised the country’s largest bank PrivatBank in an attempt to avert a financial meltdown
- Amazon India launched its online wallet Amazon Pay Balance, in a bid to increase cashless orders. It can only be used to make Amazon-based transactions.
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has lowered the interest rate on provident fund deposits to 8.65% for the current fiscal, from 8.8% in 2015-16
- Atletico De Kolkata FC won the third edition Indian Super League (ISL) football tournament. It is second time the football club has won this tournament in three years. In the final match held in Kochi, Atletico De Kolkata FC defeated Kerala Blasters 4-3 in a penalty shootout.
- India won the 2016 Men’s Hockey Junior World Cup title by defeating Belgium by 2-1 goals. The final match was held at Major Dhyan Chand Stadium in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- Indian batsman became second Indian cricketer after Virender Sehwag to score triple century in Tests. He scored 303 runs (unbeaten) in the first innings of the fifth and final test-match against England played at MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai.
- The Union Government is planning to merge Cyber Appellate Tribunal (CyAT) and with the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) into single larger entity to avoid identical and overlapping functions
- The Supreme Court in a landmark verdict held that Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India and did not enjoy sovereign status, either under its constitution or that of India
- India and Tajikistan have signed four agreements in areas including on double taxation avoidance, money laundering and counter-terrorism
- The sixth edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) held in New Delhi has adopted New Delhi declaration to adopt Urban Plus approach
- Himachal Pradesh became sixth state/UT in the Country to achieve 100 percent Aadhar saturation on the basis of population of year 2015. Earlier, Delhi, Telangana, Haryana, Punjab and Chandigarh have achieved this milestone
- Himachal Pradesh’s first Cyber Crime Police Station was opened at state police headquarter in Shimla. The main objective of this police station is to deal with increasing crime based on misuse of information technology by the High tech criminals
- India’s first transgender school will be inaugurated at Sahaj International School in Kochi, Kerala on December 30, 2016 by transgender rights activist and artist Kalki Subramaniam.
- Mortgage major HDFC has received permission from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to raise Rs. 3,000 crore by issuing ‘masala bonds’ after it exhausted a Rs. 5,000 crore limit to issue these bonds
- Paytm has launched ‘Each one, teach one’ campaign to increase the digital inclusion in the country.
- India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) launched State Bank MobiCash Mobile Wallet. It is a joint product by SBI and Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL). Initially, this wallet services will be available in Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana and Bihar and expanded pan-India by the end of December 2016.
- Varun Bhatt of Rajasthan Patrika and The Week have been jointly awarded International Press Institute’s (IPI) India Award for Excellence in Journalism, 2016 for outstanding journalistic work done during 2015
- The Union Government has appointed Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa as the next Chief of the Air Staff of the Indian Air Force (IAF). He succeeds Arup Raha who retires on December 31, 2016.
- The Union government has appointed senior IPS officer Rajiv Jain as the new chief of Intelligence Bureau (IB).
- The NASA has successfully launched constellation of eight mini-satellites as part Cyclone Global Navigation Satellite System (CYGNSS) into space to improve hurricane forecasting
- Indian boxing star Vijender Singh retained his WBO-Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title by defeated Tanzanian boxer Francis Cheka.
- The Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) has conferred the 2016 Global Agriculture Leadership Award to Tata Sons interim Chairman Ratan Tata in Mumbai, Maharashtra for his transformational role in scaling Tata Group as the globally admired group during his stint of two decades as Chairman
- The Haryana government has launched “Haryana Immunization Incentives and Information Programme” to increase immunization rates of children between the age group of 0-12 months. The programme would be implemented in 7 districts viz.
- The Rajasthan government has recently launched a subsidized meal scheme “Annapurna Rasoi” at the Jaipur Municipal Corporation campus for underprivileged people under which food will be provided at nominal rates.
- The world famous river island and seat of Vaishnavite culture “Majuli district” will soon become the India’s first-ever carbon neutral district by 2020.
- The 9th World Confluence of Humanity, Power and Spirituality has started in New Delhi on December 16, 2016 to spread the message of inter-faith peace and harmony
- The Swasthya Raksha Programme has been launched by the Ministry of AYUSH to promote health and health education in villa.
- The 6th BRICS Health Ministers’ Meet has been held in New Delhi to strengthen intra-BRICS cooperation to promote health and acknowledge the renewed commitment to health by the BRICS leaders as expressed in the Goa Declaration of October 16
- The Thal Favang Kut festival has started at Aizawl in In Mizoram with enthusiasm and fervour.
- The Parliament has passed Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2016 after it was passed by the Lok Sabha.
- Union Government is going to deploy 600 young professionals as Zila Swachh Bharat Preraks (ZSBPs)
- The fifth edition of the India-Arab Partnership Conference was held in Muscat, Oman from December 14 to 15, 2016.
- The Supreme Court has ordered a ban on all liquor shops on national as well as state highways to reduce drink driving and road accidents that claim thousands of lives every year across the country
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Sunil Arora as Director General and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA).
- The ACC has appointed VK Sharma as Chairman Life Insurance Corp. of India (LIC), India’s biggest insurer and investor.
- The ‘Thal Favang Kut’ festival organised by Department of Tourism, Government of Mizoram began in state capital Aizawl with enthusiasm and fervour
- Haryana became the first state in the country to launch Mahila Police Volunteer (MPV) initiative for safety of women. It was launched by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar
- The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has officially added word ‘Brexit’ in it. It is among 1,500 new words added to the OED.
- The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) of United Kingdom has given approval to clinics seeking licences for three parent baby technique or mitochondrial replacement therapy (MRT).
- Savita Vaidhyanathan became first Indian-American woman to get elected as new Mayor of key Californian city of Cupertino, globally known for its Apple headquarters.
- An Indian physics teacher Kavita Sanghvi has made it to the list of top 50 contenders for The Global Teacher Prize 2017 by Varkey Foundation
- India’s opener batswoman Smriti Mandhana was named in the International Cricket Council (ICC’s) Women’s Team of the Year 2016.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the protocol amending agreement between India and Tajikistan for avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income
- The Union Government has launched Lucky Grahak Yojana to encourage consumers and Digi Dhan Vyapar Yojana to encourage merchants for transition to digital payments.
- The Union Home Ministry has cancelled renewal of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) licences of Greenpeace India and two NGOs run by activist Teesta Setalvad.
- Students appearing for Joint Entrance Examination (Main) for engineering will have to show their Aadhaar card as proof of idntity
- The Union Cabinet has approved memorandum of understanding (MoU) between India and Kyrgyzstan on cooperation in field of agriculture and food related industry.
- The Union Cabinet approved India’s approach to Climate Change Negotiations at the 22 Conference of Parties (COP) to United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), held in Marrakesh, Morocco in November 2016
- The Union Cabinet has approved MoU signed between ISRO and United States Geological Survey (USGS) for Cooperation in exchange and use of US Land Remote Sensing Satellite Data.
- The seventh edition of India, Maldives bilateral EKUVERIN Exercise 2016 began at Kadhdhoo, Laamu Atoll, Maldives.
- The Desert National Park (DNP) in Jaisalmer (Rajasthan) witnessed successful birth of 11 Great Indian Bustards (GIB). With this, the figure of critically endangered species reached to 151. GIB is popularly known as ‘Godawan’. It is Rajasthan’s state bird
- Russian President Vladimir Putin was named as the World’s Most powerful persons by Forbes magazine for consecutive fourth year
- Alphabet’s (parent company of Google) CEO Larry Page was named as the World’s Most powerful CEO by Forbes
- According to study released by Pew Research Centre, Hindus are the best-educated of all religious groups in North America and Europe
India’s largest indoor sports arena will come up in New Town area of Kolkata, West Bengal with a capacity to accommodate upto 15,400 people at one time
The 6th edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) has inaugurated by Union Minister of Urban Development Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi on December 14, 2016
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has cut India’s economic growth forecast to 7.0% from 7.4% for the financial year 2016-17 in the updated report of Asian Development Outlook 2016 due to weak investments, a slowdown in the country’s agriculture sector and the lack of available cash due to the government’s decision to ban high-denomination bank notes.
India is at 4th position in the list of top 10 defence spenders in the world, according to the recently published annual Jane’s Defense Budgets Report by research firm IHS Markit.
The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) in Hyderabad has become the 2nd airport in the Asia-Pacific region among all categories to achieve carbon neutral status.
The book “Many Everests: An Inspiring Journey of Transforming Dream into Reality” has been authored by Ravindra Kumar, who is an ex-seafarer, IAS officer & mountaineer.
- The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2014, which aims at securing and enhancing the rights and entitlements of disabled persons was passed with amendments in the Rajya Sabha on December 14, 2016.
- The 9th edition of the annual bilateral maritime exercise between Indian Navy and Russian Navy, INDRA NAVY, started off in the Bay of Bengal on December 14 and will continue till 21 December 2016.
- According to the 2016 Jane’s Defence Budgets Report, released by research firm IHS Markit on December 12, 2016, India has become the fourth largest defence spender in the world, after US, China, and the UK
- India will contribute $500,000 to the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) for the year 2016-17 announced by Indian diplomat Anjani Kumar a counsellor at India’s UN Mission at the pledging session held at UN
- The Marvelous City or Rio de Janeiro officially entered into the UN’s list of world heritage sites while UNESCO status was announced in 2012 in recognition of its soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest and beaches.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) lowered the 2016 growth estimate for India to 7 per cent from the previous 7.4 per cent on December 13, 2016, due to demonetisation, weak investment and agricultural slowdown. However, India’s growth forecast for 2017 remained unchanged at 7.8 per cent
- India on December 13, 2016, signed a Grant Agreement of USD 5.19 million with International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) for Additional Financing for Financing Energy Efficiency at MSMEs Project- Programmatic Framework for Energy Efficiency
- Indian e-commerce website Paytm has announced partnership with National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to enable cashless payments at all national and city toll plazas.
- V G Kannan took charge as Chief Executive of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) on December 14, 2016. He replaced M V Tanksale.
- The International Tennis Federation(ITF) named Andy Murray of Great Britain and Angelique Kerber of Germany as the 2016 ITF World Champions. They will receive the award at the 2017 ITF World Champions Dinner on 6 June 2017 in Paris.
Ace Indian cueist Pankaj Advani has won his 11th World Billiards (150-Up format) Championships title in the summit clash in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
The Punjab Government has launched India’s first amphibious bus project “Harike Cruise” at the Harike wetland near Amritsar. The amphibious bus project has cost the state government over Rs 11 crore.
The Uttar Pradesh government has tied up with Tata Trusts to leverage digital platforms to strengthen the public distribution system (PDS) in the state.
The world’s longest and deepest rail tunnel “Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT)” has officially begin its regular rail service on December 11, 2016 in Switzerland
Cristiano Ronaldo, a Portuguese professional footballer who plays for Spanish club Real Madrid and the Portugal national team, has won the prestigious 2016 Ballon d’Or award at an awards ceremony in Paris, France. With this, he won the 4th Ballon d’Or title in his career.
The Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs in collaboration with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and National Scheduled Tribes Finance and Development Corporation (NSTFDC) will launch “Vanjeevan” the National Resource Centre for Tribal Livelihood issues at Bhubaneswar, Odisha on December 22, 2016.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has been named among the top 100 global thinker by the US based Foreign Policy magazine.
- Kolkata based United Bank of India has adopted Patunagar and Sachindranagar Colony in the state of Tripura to implement schemes in the line of digital India program.UBI will make necessary steps to change the villages into truly cashless villages
- LIC Mutual Fund Asset Management Company on December 12, 2016, announced its readiness on Unified Payment Interface (UPI) in partnership with Standard Chartered Bank as mode of payment for its investors to invest in its schemes.
- Yes Bank has tied-up with e-grocer Grofers to deliver cash at doorstep, allowing customers to get cash of up to Rs 2,000 when they order grocery online.
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has signed an emergency order to ban country’s largest banknote 100 bolivars banknote to be taken out of circulation in the next 72 hours
- Rio Olympic silver medallist PV Sindhu awarded with Badminton World Federation (BWF) Most Improved Player of the Year award at the Players’ Reception and Gala Dinner in Dubai on December 12, 2016
- Bollywood Actress Priyanka Chopra is appointed as UNICEF Global Goodwill Ambassador for campaign “For Every Child.”
- Adelaide Oval, Australia to host first ever Day and Night Ashes
- President Pranab Mukherjee on the occasion of his 81st birthday on December 11, 2016 inaugurated a museum for vintage tapestries and carpets in the Marble Hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Technology giant Microsoft has launched its first full-scale Cybersecurity Engagement Centre (CSEC) in Delhi.
- US Secretary of State John Kerry was honored with the highest French civilian award, Legion of Honor ,on December 11, 2016 for his contribution in the favor of peace.
- Akshaykumar Kale elected President of 90th Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Sahitya Sammelan
- New Zealand’s Minister of Finance and leader of National Party Bill English was sworn in as the country’s new Prime Minister on December 12, 2016
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed a contract with a consortium of six companies on December 9, 2016, to build two navigation satellite jointly with private firms by March 2017.
- Scientists at the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona), identified a specific protein called CD36 which is responsible for spreading cancer.
- Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, N Chandababu Naidu launched the website of the Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board (AP-EDB), on December 10, 2016.
- NGT bench Directs Rajasthan Government to Cancel illegal salt pans in Sambhar Lake
- The very severe cyclonic storm, Vardah made landfall in Chennai about 3 pm on December 12, 2016, killing seven people in the state.
President Pranab Mukherjee has launched a “100 Million for 100 Million” campaign organized by the Kailash Satyarthi Children’s Foundation at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. The campaign is a global initiative that seeks to support 100 million youth to be the voice of the 100 million children and youth across the world who have been denied basic rights and freedom.
The chief minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan has recently launched Narmada Seva Yatra at Amarkantak. The purpose of the 5-months long Yatra is to turn the Narmada river pollution free and unceasing river.
Sunil Gavaskar has been bestowed with the Golden Jubilee Lifetime Achievement Award by the Sports Journalists’ Association of Mumbai (SJAM) at the Cricket Club of India in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Paolo Gentiloni has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Italy by President Sergio Mattarella
Iqbal Sayed from Mumbai, who works as a civil engineer with Reliance Infrastructure and Mumbai Metro, has become the first Indian to win a medal at the Mr. Olympia Amateur Asia 2016’s classic bodybuilding category in Hong Kong. He won silver medal in the event after beating participants from 20 countries in the classic bodybuilding category
The Madhya Pradesh government has become the first Indian state to launch the biggest and first-ever crop insurance claim distribution programme worth Rs 4,416 crore in Ujjain.
The International Mountain Day (IMD) is observed every year on December 11 to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life
- The 2016 India International Science festival (IISF) was organized at CSIR-National Physical Laboratory (NPL) Campus in New Delhi from December 7 to December 11, 2016 by the Department of Biotechnology and Ministry of Science & Technology.
- Railway Starts Giving Free Accidental Insurance Cover for Booking Railway Ticket Online
- Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry, Kiran Bedi on December 11, 2016 announced the decision about the selection of Thimmanaicken Palayam village in the Manaveli Assembly constituency under Model Village Scheme.
- Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti flagged off fortnightly special train ‘Vaadi ki sair’ (Tour of the Valley) on December 11, 2016, for children that will run between Banihal to Baramulla.
- The world’s longest rail tunnel, Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT), began operating on regular basis in Switzerland, on December 11, 2016, to provide service to the passengers.
- China Launches First, Second Generation Weather Satellite ‘Fengyun-4’
- The International Olympic Committee’s executive board on December 6, 2016, has granted provisional recognition to cheerleading and the martial art of muaythai as Olympic sports.
The Sardar Patel Cricket Stadium in Ahmedabad, popularly known as Motera Stadium, is set to become the world’s largest seating capacity cricket stadium.
The Union IT Minister Ravishankar Prasad has recently launched “Digidhan Abhiyan” to enable every citizen, small traders and merchants to adopt digital payments in their everyday financial transactions.
Nana Akufo-Addo has won the presidential election of the Republic of Ghana
India has been ranked 7th in the list of 163 countries most impacted by terrorism in 2015, according to the Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2016 released by Sydney-based think-tank “Institute for Economics & Peace”.
The book “Dipa Karmakar: The Small Wonder” has been authored by sports journalists Vimal Mohan, Digvijay Singh Deo and Dipa Karmakar’s coach Bishweshwar Nandi.
The first edition of Serendipity Arts Festival (SAF) will be held on the banks of river Mandovi in Panaji, Goa from December 16-23, 2016 to promote patronage of arts.
The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) has recently constituted committee to fight against the menace of online piracy.The committee will be chaired by Ajit Mohan of Hotstar and co-chaired by Uday Sodhi of SET India and Salil Kapoor of HOOQ
The Committee on Digital Payments headed by Ratan P. Watal has submitted its final report to the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in his office in New Delhi.
- India and Vietnam signed a Civil Nuclear Cooperation Agreement (N-Pact) in New Delhi on December 9, 2016, in the presence of Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan and President of Vietnam’s National Assembly Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan.
- The 28th State Information Ministers Conference (SIMCON), 2016, was organised by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting from December 9 to December 10, 2016 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The Supreme Court on December 9, 2016, modified its order of November 30 to exempt physically handicapped persons from standing up in cinema halls when the national anthem is played before film screenings
- Civil rights activist Viola Desmond has emerged as the first Canadian Woman to be featured on the nations $ 10 Currency note.
- The Indian filmmaker Onir won the Hollywood Independent Documentary Awards for his Indo-Australian documentary, “Raising the Bar” which was selected as the ‘Best Foreign Documentary Feature’.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan launched the mobile applications – ‘ArisingKerala‘ and ‘Whistle Now’ – on the occasion of International Anti-Corruption Day.
- Human Rights Day observed on December 10,2016
The 5th India-Arab Partnership Conference will be held in Muscat, Oman on December 14, 2016 with an objective to enhance the economic relations between India and Arab countries and Oman.
The “Laureates and Leaders” Summit for Children will be hosted by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi from December 10 to 11, 2016.
The Allahabad High Court has termed the Islamic practice of divorcing a woman by uttering the word ‘talaq (Talaq-e-bidat)’ thrice as unconstitutional.
The Indian Army has launched a “Veterans Outreach App” i.e. dedicated to Army Veterans and Veer Naris.
The United Nations’ (UN) International Anti-Corruption Day (IACD) is observed every year on December 9 to promote and strengthen measures to prevent and combat corruption more efficiently and effectively.
- The Cabinet Committee headed by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on December 7, 2016, gave the approval for the development of the Phase-I of the Rs 11,420 crore Pune metro rail project.The project will cover a length of 31.254 km and consist of two corridors
- The Union Cabinet on December 7, 2016, approved MoU between India and Vietnam on Cooperation in the field of IT.
- The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between India and Afghanistan on cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space.
- The Union Cabinet gave the approval to the reforms to boost employment generation and exports in the Made-ups Sector.
- Cabinet approved the MoU signed between India and United Kingdom (UK) in area of Ease of Doing Business in India.
- Government on December 8, 2016, announced the Zero Effect Zero Defect (ZED)certification scheme which will guide and assist MSMEs across the country in Make in India sectors through quality control cells and rate them after carrying out assessment of their products.
- Kerala chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan on launched Haritha Keralam Mission in Thiruvananthapuram on December 8, 2016.To clear and remove waste from all the water bodies in the state, ensure disposal of solid waste and removal of waste water and measures to increase the area of land under cultivation
- Virbhadra Singh lead Himachal Pradesh government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Government of India for operational and financial turnaround of the DISCOM under the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY)
- The Lifeline Express, world’s first hospital train was equipped with two new coaches in addition to the existing five on December 8, 2016.
- Stockholders of the National Bank of Abu Dhabi and First Gulf Bank on December 7, 2016, approved to merge into the biggest bank of all Gulf Countries with an asset of $ 178 billion.
- US President elect Donald Trump was chosen as the TIME’s Person of the Year 2016 on December 7, 2016, for his outstanding victory in the US election
- Google parent Company, Alphabet has been named as the Company Of The Year by Fortune magazine in its annual Blue Ribbon ranking.
- The Supreme Court has ruled that horse racing as such is not animal cruelty
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu launched AP Purse mobile app in Vijayawada on December 6, 2016.To promote digital transaction among people
- India on December 7, 2016, has pledged to contribute USD 1.25 million to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).
- Hindi language has been listed at the 10th position in the Power Language Index Ranking by The World Economic Forum (WEF).English was placed at the 1st position and Mandarin at 2nd position followed by French
- The RBI Governor Urjit Patel led six-member MonetaryPolicy Committee (MPC) on December 7, 2016, announced the fifth bi-monthly monetary policy statement of 2016-2017, which is also the first policy after the implementation of the demonetization decision of Government.
i. Repo rate remained unchanged at 6.25%
ii. Reverse Repo at 5.75%
iii. Cash reserve ratio or CRR unchanged at 4%
iv. Due to demonetization, the central bank has lowered the GDP growth forecast from 7.6 per cent to 7.1 per cent for the current fiscal.Inflation target remains 5 percent for March 2017 with risks tilted to the upside.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has relaxed the Additional Factor Authentication (AFA) norms for online transactions up to Rs. 2,000 to save time transaction time of customers and also promote government’s digital payment program.
- 100 banks have joined the National Financial Switch (NFS) network as direct members established ATM networks, now NFS network comprise of 745 members said by Maharashtra based National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) on December 7, 2016
- Vijaya Bank has been honored with ‘Best Bank for SME Lending award’ at the fourth SMEs Excellence Award function held in New Delhi.The Best MSME Bank Award 2016 was given to The Corporation Bank by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM)
- The Indian Space Research Organisation successfully launched the Remote Sensing Satellite, Resourcesat-2A on December 7, 2016 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- Argentina win women’s Hockey Junior World Cup 2016
- Journalist, Political Analyst, Actor Cho Ramaswamy Dies
- International Civil Aviation Day observed on December 7, 2016
The Armed Forces Flag Day is celebrated annually in India on December 7
English has been ranked first in the top 10 most powerful languages in the world according to the 2016 World Power Language Index (PLI) published by World Economic Forum (WEF).
Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar has been appointed as the 44th Chief Justice of India. He will be sworn-in as the CJI on January 4, 2017.
- The south American nations have suspended Venezuela from Mercursor group. Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay are the members of Mercursor after removal of Venezuela
- Bernard Cazeneuve is elected as PM off France
- Mahaparinirwan diwas is observed on 6th Dec every year. DR. B R Ambedkar passed on this day. To pay tribute to him this day is celebrated
- The 12th international oil and gas conference PETROTECH – 16 is inaugurated by PM Narendra modi
- After the demise of AIADMK supremo Jayalalitha, Paneerselvam is sworn in as new CM of Tamil nadu
- The finance ministry made it mandatory for all govt departments to make payments above 5000 rupees through e-payment facility
- Amar abrol is appointed so MD of Air Asia
- The first-ever International Gita Mahotsav will be held in Kurukshetra, Haryana on December 6, 2016.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has won the online reader’s poll for TIME magazine’s Person of the Year 2016 with 18% of the vote.
- NITI Aayog will provide Rs. 5 lakh for every district in India to encourage digital payment system
- The first-of-its-kind app, “Stanpan Suraksha” has been launched by Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram to promote breastfeeding.
- The Government of Goa is set to launch its ambitious scheme “Goa Yuva Sanchar Yojana” on December 5, 2016, providing Limited Free Talktime and Internet Data to the youth in the state to comply with the central government’s Digital India initiative.
- Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has resigned on December 5, 2016
- An electronic commerce company Amazon launched it’s startup programme ‘Launchpad‘ in India to support Indian startups and scale up their business.
- The Finance Ministry made it mandatory on December 5, 2016 for all Government Departments to make Electronic Payments to suppliers, contractors or institutions if the order value exceeds Rs 5,000, to give a boost to Digital Payment System
- India has achieved the status of being a safe and dynamic investment destination in the world after it crossed the $ 300 billion Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) between April 2000 and September 2016.
- Maharashtra based Yes Bank has partnered with India’s smartest cab service Ola to set up mobile ATMs across 30 locations across 10 cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Kolkata, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad and Jaipur.
- India’s largest public sector trading body MMTC(Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation ) tie-up with the State Bank of India (SBI) to sell government-minted Indian Gold Coin(24 Karat)which will be available in denominations of 5gm, 10gm and 20 gm bar.
- World’s largest bird festival organized in Agra to promote Eco-tourism
- Hailakandi District in Assam becomes first to Pay Wages to Tea workers via Bank Account
- Mangaluru girl, Srinidhi Shetty , was crowned Miss Supranational 2016 at a grand ceremony in Krynica Zdroj, Poland on December 2, 2016 . She also won the title of Miss Asia-Oceania.
- Tasmania-based Women’s Legal Service in collaboration with TRS Law
Offices, India has launched a website, http://www.Girlsgottaknow.in, for women in India to educate them about their legal rights.
- Indian women cricket team defeated rivals Pakistan by 17 runs in the Asia Cup Twenty20 final tournament held at the Asian Institute of Technology Ground in Bangkok on December 4, 2016.
- Indian Golfer Mukesh Kumar became the oldest golfer to win an Asian Tour title on December 4, 2016 at Delhi Golf Club (DGC) after winning the Panasonic Open India.
- The 45th Navy Day was observed on 4 December 2016. The day is observed every year to celebrate the magnificence, achievements and role of the naval force to the country.
- A 9-time Olympic gold medallist, Usain Bolt from Jamaica has won the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) male Athlete of the Year award for a record sixth time.
- J Ravichandran has been appointed as the interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE).
- Kolkata has been bagged the C40 Award for best solid waste management improvement project of 2016 during the C40 Mayors Summit held in Mexico .
- Kehkashan Basu, a UAE-based Indian environmental activist, has won the 2016 prestigious International Children’s Peace Prize for her fight for climate justice and combating environmental degradation.
- The 7th World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) has been organized at Science City, Kolkata from December 1 to December 4, 2016 by the World Ayurveda Foundation with support of Ministry of AYUSH, and the State Government of West Bengal.
- The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) has been decided to extend the time for deployment of Aadhaar-enabled devices till June 30, 2017
- Private sector lender DCB Bank launched its own mobile and tab based digital wallet Cippy Wallet app on December 2, 2016 in New Delhi to encourage consumers to experience cash free purchases from the mobile phone for day-to-day needs.
- A mobile application, Stanpan Suraksha, developed by an NGO Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI) to promote breast feeding and check on “inappropriate” promotion of baby food items, was launched by Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram on December 2, 2016 in New Delhi.
- Formula One champion Nico Rosberg announced his shocking retirement from racing on December 2, 2016, five days after earning his first world championship.
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Shri Prakash Javadekar launched a campaign‘Vittiya Saksharata Abhiyan’ (VISAKA) in New Delhi on December 1, 2016
- Dhasai village in Thane district of Maharashtra has become the first “cashless village”in the state on December 2, 2016 following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s appeal for cashless transaction.
- Indian Railways has taken steps to make railway travel bookings digital and asked the State Bank of India and ICICI Bank among others to provide around 15,000 point of sale (PoS) machines at reservation counters.
- Kochi based Federal Bank has tied up with Spice Digital for cash management services through the bank’s e-collection facility
- Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (ABFSG) launched new insurance arm under Aditya Birla Health Insurance (ABHICL)
- UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Katy Perry and Philanthropist Moll Anderson were honoured for their extraordinary commitment to put children first at the 12th Annual UNICEF Snowflake Ball in New York, USA
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) has won the AFC Developing Member Association of the Year Award at the Asian Football Confederation’s (AFC) Annual Awards held in Abu Dhabi on December 1, 2016.
- Gujarat-cadre IPS officer Rakesh Asthana elevated as the interim chief of the Central Bureau of Investigation(CBI) on December 3, 2016. He will replace Anil Sinha who retired from the post.
- Pakistan to host first Davis Cup match in 12 years
- The Border Security Force (BSF) celebrated its 51st Raising Day at Chhawla camp in New Delhi.
- The Union government launched a “Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) e-box BOX” in August 2016 for easy and confidential registration of complaints regarding sexual offence against children.
- India has recently signed Rs. 5,000 crore deal for 145 M777 ultra-light howitzers guns with the United States, which will be deployed in high-altitude areas in Arunachal Pradesh and Ladakh, bordering China.
- Praveen Mahajan, a former IRS officer, has became the first woman President of the All India Tennis Association (AITA). She succeeded Anil Khanna.
- India’s one of the ancient practices “Yoga” has been inscribed as an element in the UNESCO’s list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of humanity
- The 2016 India International Science festival (IISF) will be held in New Delhi from December 7 to 11, 2016
- Makkal Pavalar Inkulab, the legendary Tamil poet and activist, has recently passed away at Urappakkam in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has become the first Indian institute to be placed in the top 15 universities among top 300 universities in the latest Times Higher Education’s (THE) BRICS and Emerging Economies University Rankings 2017.
- Private sector lender Yes Bank has launched a new digital transaction service through mobile phones named SIMsePAY, that allows any account holder to do money transfers, pay utility bills and other mobile banking services, without the need for smart phones or internet.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the merger of Bharatiya Mahila Bank Ltd (BMBL) with the country’s largest lender State Bank of India.
- Maharashtra based private sector lender RBL Bank has launched Aadhaar Payment Bridge System (APBS) on November 30, 2016, for small ticket micro-finance loan disbursements.
- Bangalore-based space tech firm TeamIndus on December 1, 2016 signed a verified commercial launch contract with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for its mission to land a spacecraft on the moon.
- Magnus Carlsen defeats Sergey Karjakin to Win World Chess Championship
- World AIDS Day is observed 1st December every year to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection, and mourning those who have died of the disease